Honors Sunday Kicks Off Commencement Season
April 25, 2012
Celebrating Academic Achievement: Honors Sunday 2012
Newton, MA — On Sunday, April 22, the Mount Ida College community, along with families and friends, gathered for Honors Sunday. The annual ceremony, which took place at Carlson Great Room in Carlson Hall, recognized nearly 70 students selected for induction into six honor societies: Alpha Chi, Eta Sigma Delta, Phi Beta Delta, Phi Theta Kappa, Pi Sigma Eta and Sigma Beta Delta. Students inducted achieved high grade point averages, recommendations from their professors, along with other achievements, from international study, to being active campus leaders, mentors and role models. The well attended event kicked off the start of commencement season at Mount Ida.
Dr. Ellen Beaulieu, Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Honors Sunday moderator and honorary inductee of the Alpha Chi Honor Society, welcomed students and guests and spoke of the hard work and dedication necessary to be inducted into an honor society.
President Lance Carluccio also shared his congratulations and extended his heartfelt thanks to parents, family and friends for their unwavering support of their children’s pursuit of achieving their academic goals. He also highlighted that our honor society inductees’ strong work ethic would pave the road for future success in their careers and personal lives.
Also on hand to recognize our students, were the faculty advisors of each honor society. As faculty advisors, they help students understand the responsibilities and benefits of membership into their respective honor society as well as encourage them to continue their journeys as life-long learners, well after graduation. A special thanks to our honor society faculty advisors:
- Prof. Cecilia Lewis Kausel, Faculty Interior Design and Official Sponsor, Alpha Chi;
- Prof. Suzanne Markham, Faculty and Director, Hospitality Management and Advisor, Eta Sigma Delta;
- Prof. Roberta Steinberg, Acting Director, School of Arts and Sciences; Faculty, English and Humanities; Director, English as a Second Language; and President, Phi Beta Delta;
- Prof. Robin Matloff, Faculty, Dental Hygiene and Advisor, Phi Theta Kappa;
- Prof. John Bresnahan, Faculty, New England Institute and Advisor, Pi Sigma Eta; and
- Prof. Susan Wheeler, Faculty, School of Business, Advisor, Sigma Beta Delta.
At the end of the ceremony, inductees and their family and friends, along with members of the Mount Ida community continued the celebration with refreshments at the Carlson Conference Room. Congratulations to all of our honor society inductees, their families and friends. Photos taken at the event are available here.