HURRICANE IRENE: Mount Ida College Emergency Preparedness and Operations Advisory
College Open Monday, but Classes Canceled
August 26, 2011
Update as of Saturday, August 27th at 10:42 pm
Due to predictions of high winds between 3 and 7 pm on Sunday, the dining hall will be closed for dinner. students already in residence can pick up boxed meals for dinner in the dining hall between 1 and 2 pm.
Please stay inside during this period and throughout the day if at all possible.
Update as of Friday, August 26, 2011 at 5:45 pm
ELS classes at Mount Ida will continue as scheduled on Monday -
Although all Mount Ida College classes are canceled for Monday, August 29th, classes in the ELS program at the Mount Ida site will take place as scheduled on Monday, August 29th, weather permitting. Again, this applies only to ELS students.
Update as of Friday, August 26, 2011 at 3:00 p.m.
Due to the impending hurricane/tropical storm, the College has changed our plans for opening in anticipation of damage, power outages and travel difficulties.
The College will not be open on Sunday, August 28th for Here I Am Check-in for returning students. The College will be open on Monday, August 29th to resume Here I Am Check-in, but classes will not be held. The first day of classes will be Tuesday, August 30th – on a regular Tuesday schedule.
If you are a returning student, please wait until Monday to travel to campus. The Governor has declared a State of Emergency for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. There is a concern that there will be power outages, debris and other hazards. Loss of power will impact food service, internet, and other services will be very limited due to the emergency. We encourage you to prepare before travel and monitor local forecasts.
If you have been pre-approved to arrive at the campus on Saturday, please strongly consider delaying your travel until Monday. The College will have very limited services over the weekend.
Information Updates and Status Advisories
- Advisories and updates will be posted on the homepage of our website as August 26, 2011 at 5:00 p.m; please check this location first.
- The main Public Safety number at (617)928-4777 will be staffed 24/7.
- Public Service Announcements will be made on local radio and television stations.
Classes and Orientation Activities
- HERE I AM CHECK-IN for Returning Students on Sunday, August 28th has been CANCELLED.
- Orientation activities will continue, following a rain plan, on Saturday, August 27th but have been cancelled for Sunday, August 28th.
- Classes are cancelled for Monday, August 29th. The first day of classes will be Tuesday, August 30th and will follow a Tuesday schedule.
- The Vice President for Academic Affairs will work with faculty to accommodate those students who cannot arrive on campus for classes on Tuesday due to storm-related travel issues.
- All staff are expected to report for work, as normally scheduled, on Monday, however, should the storm cause damage or make travel unsafe for you, please communicate with your supervisor.
College Operations, Student Access, Move-In Schedules
- The College will remain open throughout the weekend.
- Students who are on campus, if LOCAL, are encouraged to go home for the weekend.
- Students who are NOT local are encouraged to stay on campus in their assigned residence hall. NO MOVE-INS will be allowed on Sunday, August 28 unless circumstances exist that make it impossible for the student to move in on Saturday or Monday.
- If students arrive on Sunday, they will be allowed into their rooms but will have to complete HERE I AM CHECK-IN on Monday.
- Students currently on campus will be directed to follow a “STAY IN PLACE” order on Sunday where they stay in their residence halls if power failure occurs or wind speed becomes dangerous.
Food Service, Shuttle Buses, and MBTA Transportation
- Food Service will be open and operating in the Dining Hall as long as power permits. Brunch will be served on Sunday from 11:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. as regularly scheduled; however dinner will ONLY BE SERVED from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 28th. We anticipate breakfast will be served on Monday in the Dining Hall as scheduled.
- Should a power failure occur, non-perishable food items and bottled water will be delivered to each residence hall.
- Shuttle bus service to and from campus will be suspended on Sunday, August 28; students are urged to remain on campus and indoors.
Power Failure and Weather Damage to Premises
- In the event of a widespread and/or prolonged power failure, students will be advised of measures to take as well as equipment to use until power is restored.
- If power is lost, students should not take showers and should take steps to conserve water.
- Under no circumstance are candles to be used – this is highly dangerous. Students should close and lock their windows.
- If damage is observed, such as a broken window or flooding, please contact Public Safety at 617-928-4777 immediately.
Should flooding or other damage to residence halls or campus buildings require an evacuation, students will be notified and evacuated to the Athletic Center and other locations.
Again, we strongly encourage that you stay home, or go home if you are already here, until the storm is over on Monday. If you must stay on campus, we will have staff available to assist students. Students who are staying on campus should have a flashlight and bottled water in their rooms. Students can report to the following locations for updates and directions:
- Chapman Hall: RA Room #7
- Malloy Hall: Main lobby
- New Hall: First floor lounge
- Shaw, Brown, and Wingate Halls: Shaw Living Room
- Pine Manor College housing: RA Rooms
- Chestnut Hill Apt. Housing: Call Public Safety at (617) 928-4777
- Sheraton Needham: the front desk
The Office of Residence Life Annex in the Wingate Den will be operational from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 midnight daily. The telephone number at the Annex is (617)928-4583.
Mount Ida College is actively monitoring the storm and working to provide for the safety and security of members of the Mount Ida community. We have a Crisis Management team, consisting of senior administrators, which is meeting regularly and is ready to act as necessary. Mount Ida maintains communication with local police, fire and public health departments.
Check the Homepage of www.mountida.edu for Updates
Please check the College News section of the homepage of www.mountida.edu regularly throughout the weekend for updates. If you would like to call the College, for updates, please call the Department of Public Safety at (617)928-4777. If that line should be affected by the storm, Public Safety has a back-up line available at (617)332-7401. Please continue to monitor this page. Thank you.