Social Security Numbers - Drivers' License
Social Security Numbers
Under the current law, only international students who either have a job or a job offer can obtain a Social Security number. Here is the process:
1) Take a letter confirming your job offer to the International Student Office
2) The Director will write a letter addressed to the Social Security Administration certifying that you have a job or offer
3) Take both letters, your passport, I-94 and I-20 to the Social Security Administration Office along with a Social Security Card application, available in the International Student Affairs Office or at: http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html
4) Assuming all of your paperwork is in order, the card will be issued.
5) Remember, only students with a job or a job offer will receive a Social Security card.
Massachusetts Driver’s License
International students may obtain a Massachusetts Driver’s License. Go to the Registry of Motor Vehicles web site (www.mass.gov/rmv) and read through the information there. You will find the Driver’s Manual explaining the process for obtaining a driver’s license as well as the rules of the road and all of the information you will need to complete the procedure. Please note that you must be 18 years of age. Once you are familiar with the information:
1) Go to any Social Security Administration office and request a Social Security Card. If you are not eligible for one (see above) request that a written denial be given to you.
2) Go to any Registry of Motor Vehicles office and present the following:
a. the written denial (or the card if you are eligible)
b. your passport including your 1-94 (proves your date of birth)
c. your I-20 (shows your signature)
d. and a letter that has been sent to you in Massachusetts or a telephone or gas bill with your Massachusetts address on it (proves that you live in Massachusetts)
3) Once the above documents are reviewed and approved, you will then be able to proceed with your learner’s permit application, which is step one toward receiving your driver’s license. The details are in the Driver’s Manual.
4) If you present the above documents and the person at the window denies your application, it is important that you ask to see the manager and request that he/she review the documents.