General Safety Tips
GENERAL SAFETY TIPS
- At night, stick to well-lit areas and travel in groups whenever possible.
- Always avoid walking alone in isolated areas such as parks, parking lots, and cut throughs.
- Familiarize yourself with local bus schedules and utilize Public Transportation when possible.
- Familiarize yourself with the location of indoor and outdoor pay phones, emergency phones and call boxes.
- Be aware of what is going on around you at all times. If you suspect you are being followed, indicate your suspicion by looking behind you. If you are on foot cross the street, change direction or vary your speed. Head to a place with people as soon as possible or call the Police or Public Safety from your cell phone. DO NOT CONFRONT ANYONE FOLLOWING YOU.
- Use the buddy system. When with a friend(s) at a party or event, agree to watch out for each other and leave the event together.
- Refuse to give your name or personal information to strangers.
- Consider taking a self-defense course.
"Protecting and Serving with Pride"