Rosie Derry Exchange Student

From Across the Pond

With her feet on U.S. soil for a mere 22 hours, Rosie Derry, from York, England was whisked off to Fenway Park to experience America’s pastime first-hand.  That and an International Student lunch were her welcome to what will be a year-long adventure as part of the new Semester@Chester exchange program.

A criminal justice major, Rosie is fascinated by psychology and sociology, why people do what they do and is delighted to be at Mount Ida and living in New Hall.

Rosie studied computers and art in the equivalent of a U.S. high school in York, England. She decided not to rush into college and left school at 16 to toil in jobs and get sound training in the trades,  At the age of 23 she decided she was ready to go back to school.

“I originally wanted to be a child psychologist, but took more of an interest in criminology,” says Rosie. “I think I’d like to either do profiling or be a crime scene investigator.”

She always knew she wanted to study abroad and the head of her department at Chester told her about this new partnership with Mount Ida College, which appealed to Rosie not only for the strength of its criminal justice program but also for its location and small size.

Rosie is finding the biggest challenge so far is learning about the criminal justice system in the United States.  “Laws can change state by state and it’s a bit confusing.  Massachusetts is as large as my entire country, so I’m trying to understand the scope of the United States.”  While she’s here she plans to explore everything she can and definitely has a trip to the West Coast planned.

As for Fenway Park, she says, “It was nice but I don’t think I’ll be returning.  I’m not much of a sports fan.”

US News Report

September 13, 2016-

Mount Ida College has risen in the ranks of US News and World Report Best Regional Colleges, North from 40th to 27th in three years, placing it among the region’s first tier colleges.

“This is an extraordinary achievement,” says Barry Brown, President of Mount Ida College. “It speaks to the progress that Mount Ida has made, evolving from a small liberal arts college into a successful model of quality career-focused education and experiential learning, grounded in social sciences and humanities.”

US News and World Report bases its rankings on the beliefs that students and families should have as much information as possible about the comparative merits of the educational programs at America’s Colleges and Universities.

The rankings of schools and colleges against peer institutions is based on a formula that uses objective measures of academic quality, such as graduation rates, faculty information and admissions data. These data account for 77.5 percent of the measure.  The remaining 22.5 percent is based on academic reputation, determined by a peer assessment from top academics at colleges in the National Universities and National Liberal Arts Colleges categories. Ratings from high school counselors are also factored in.

The peer assessment portion of the survey asks the president, provost and dean of admissions at each school to rate the quality of the academic programs at schools in the same ranking category, including their own.

“When you combine our steadily increasing numbers in student retention and graduation rates with the high regard in which we are held by our peers, this jump in rank is a validation of what we know to be true on our campus,” says Brown.  “We are offering the best of both worlds; the highest quality classroom education combined with the experiential learning that is preparing our students to thrive and succeed in their careers, as evidenced by a job placement rate for graduates that is close to double the national average.”

Learn more about Mount Ida College


September 9, 2016-

This Sunday is the fifteenth anniversary of the World Trade Center tragedy. The entire Mount Ida Community remembers all of the families affected by the events on September 11, 2001 and those first responders who selflessly risked their lives to assist.

In honor of those individuals, we will be lowering the campus American flag and ask that you take a moment to remember and reflect on both the tragic losses and great acts of bravery that occurred on that day.

Barry Brown