» Skip Navigation

Office of Accessibility Services Frequently Asked Question

Q. I have a learning disability. What services/accommodations am I entitled to?
A. No student is automatically granted a standard list of accommodations based on a specific disability. Students must establish eligibility for reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to academic programs and activities. Appropriate accommodations are determined for each student individually, based on the documentation provided by the student at the time of their request.

Q. What documentation do I need to submit?
A. Students must submit a request for accommodations through Mount Ida’s online system called Accomodate for each semester they are needed. Additionally, students must provide documentation which should be completed by a qualified provider pursuant to the documentation guidelines.  The documentation must be current and describe the nature, symptoms, functional limitations, and treatment of the disability. This should be accompanied by a clinical summary written by your provider. Additionally, students should include a copy of any diagnostic assessments and evaluations.

Q. My documentation of a disability has been lost or is missing. Would a letter from a primary care physician be sufficient to document eligibility?
A. Unfortunately, no. A doctor’s note, in and of itself, is not sufficient documentation. Comprehensive documentation of a disability in accordance with established guidelines must be presented to establish eligibility and the need for appropriate accommodations for equal access. Please review the documentation guidelines and if there are still questions,contact OAS with any questions regarding sufficient documentation.

Q. Is the application process to Mount Ida College different because I have a disability?
A. No, the application process is the same for all students. Applicants with disabilities are part of the regular application pool and considered based on the same, standard criteria as all students. You are not required to disclose your disability during the application process.

Q. Do you have accessible housing and classrooms for students with physical disabilities?
A. Yes. A student who has been approved for on-campus housing and requires an accessible room must register for housing accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services. OAS will work with the student and Campus Living staff to determine which type of housing is necessary and appropriate. We will also coordinate your course schedule with the Registrar to facilitate accessible classroom locations.

Q.What if I plan to live on campus and need assistance with personal care. Does Mount Ida College provide this service?
A. Personal care assistance (PCA) is not a service Mount Ida College provides. All costs for personal care are the responsibility of the student. Any student who plans to live on campus and needs PCA are welcome to reach out to OAS for assistance in securing an appropriate care provider.

Q. I’m not sure, but I think I may have a learning disability. Do you provide LD testing?
Mount Ida College does not conduct diagnostic testing. However, Accessibility Services staff are available to discuss
concerns and any potential evidence of a learning disability. They can offer referrals to community resources for formal testing. The student is responsible for the cost of any recommended learning disability assessment.

Q. Will my transcript indicate affiliation with Accessibility Services and my use of accommodations?
No. Affiliation with OAS is confidential and not included in a student’s official academic record.

Q. Are there fees for accommodations, counseling, or academic support services such as tutoring?
Academic accommodations do not incur fees. However, in some cases, students are responsible for procuring their own services, such as personal care assistants and assistive technology devices. Likewise, counseling and health services are free of charge, as is peer and professional tutoring through our Academic Success Center and Writing Center — available to all students, with or without disabilities.  *Note: This is not to be confused with the Student Achievement Program, which is our application-only, fee-for-service program that pairs enrolled students with learning specialists for weekly academic support sessions.

Q. What are my rights and responsibilities as a student registered with the Office of Accessibility Services?
A. Students with disabilities are entitled to reasonable accommodations according to the American with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended 2009. These federal laws protect students from discrimination based on actual or perceived disability. Once a student has registered with Accessibility Services, a student has the following rights:

  1. Equal access to courses, programs, services, jobs, activities, and facilities available through the College.
  2. Reasonable and appropriate accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids determined on a case-by-case basis.
  3. Appropriate confidentiality of information pertaining to his/her disability with the choice of to whom their disability will be disclosed, except where required by law or on a ‘need to know’ or ‘right to know’ basis with Mount Ida College Faculty and Staff.
  4. Notification regarding grievance procedures pertaining to students with disabilities.