» Skip Navigation

FAQ for International Students

When is the deadline to submit my application?

Fall 2017: July 30, 2017
Spring 2018: November 15, 2017

Students must allow enough time for the admissions process, mailing of the I-20, and for the F-1 student visa application through the proper U.S. embassy or consulate.

What is an academic year or semester?

An academic year here is 9 months long. There are 2 semesters; Fall and Spring. Each semester is 14 weeks long. International students must take at least 4 classes a semester. You can complete a Bachelor’s degree in 4 academic years.

What are classes like?

Classes for the Fall semester usually start the first week of September. Here, you’ll find a tight-knit, diverse community where you’ll make friends and build your professional network. Classes are no larger than 25 students. The faculty to student ratio is 13:1. Classes are usually one hour long during the day and meet 2-3 times a week. You will usually take 4-5 classes per semester.

What if my English is not good? What are my options?

Accepted students who have a TOEFL score between 45 and 70 or an IELTS score between 4.0 and 5.5 will automatically be admitted into the ESL program.

Can I work while I am attending Mount Ida College?

Yes. F-1 student visa holders may work on campus up to 20 hours per week during the academic year. However, you should keep in mind that work opportunities are very limited and should not be factored into your budget. Off campus employment is not an option (unless you are completing the senior year internship).

Can I do an internship while I am attending Mount Ida College?

Yes, as long as it is part of your curriculum. Almost every student does a senior internship for 14 weeks.

Does the college have on-campus housing?

The college does have on-campus residence halls. Admitted students are also allowed to live off campus, as well. For students who have decided to not live on campus, there are a number of options for you to find living accommodations in and around the Newton and Boston area. Please note that Mount Ida College does not guarantee housing for students.

If I live on campus, do I have to move out in the summer?

Yes. All students must leave campus residence halls when classes end in May.

What is Orientation/Check-in?  Do I need to attend orientation?

This is when you come in for your immigration check-in and officially state your arrival and enrollment in the school. You will take your Math and English placement test and meet your academic adviser who will get you registered for classes. All new students MUST attend orientation.

Can I play sports?

Yes. You can be part of an athletic division III sport team or you can join one of our intramural teams. Students who are part of a Division III sport team attend daily practices, attend the sport games every weekend and have to try out for the team. Intramural sport teams are for students who cannot be fully committed to an athletic sport. Intramural sports give a chance for students to participate in sports during their own time.

Can I study abroad while at Mount Ida College?

Yes, you may study abroad. We offer many different study-abroad trips for our students.

Do you offer health insurance?

The program fee provides for participant use of University Health Services. However, this is not a health insurance plan. In general, medical services in the U.S. are very expensive. You and any dependents in this country should be covered by health insurance in case of an accident or serious illness which may require hospitalization or a specialist’s care. If you do not have your own private insurance, you are eligible to purchase the university’s Health Insurance Plan upon your arrival at the university.

Do you offer a scholarship for International students?

Yes. We offer academic scholarships of up to $12,000 to international students.

How much does it cost to attend Mount Ida College?

Please view this link that will explain the tuition cost for one year.


Do I qualify for the U.S. government’s federal financial aid if I am an international student?

No. F-1 students must submit documentation proving that they have the financial support to pay their tuition and do not qualify for the federal financial aid program.

I already have an I-20 from another school I have attended in the U.S. May I continue to use this I-20, or do I need to get a new one?

If you’re in the U.S. and are transferring to Mount Ida College from another school, you must submit the transfer form to your present school. Once we receive the transfer form along with your completed application and your I-20 has been released to Mount Ida College by your previous school, we will issue you a new I-20.

What do I need to include with the VISA application?

Once you have been accepted to Mount Ida College you must submit the completed application and a bank statement or a declaration of sponsor. Once the application is received and processed, Mount Ida College will issue you an I-20.

What is the I-20 form?

It is an official government document that will be sent to you with your acceptance letter. The I-20 form is not a visa. It is, however, the most important document needed to apply for a student (F-1) visa. Once you have this form, you should go to the U.S. Embassy or the U.S. Consulate nearest to you with your passport and proof of financial support (bank statements, etc.). U.S. Embassies and Consulates around the world have certain processes and requirements for applying for visas. Please contact them directly before your office visit.

What is an F-1 visa?

This is the immigration status for all accepted students who are non citizens of the USA. You receive this visa once you present your I-20 to a U.S. embassy in your home country. This status is noted at the U.S. Port of Entry on the Form I-94. Students with F-1 status are governed by regulations of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), a bureau of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. For more information, please visit the USCIS website.

When can I enter the U.S. after obtaining my F-1 visa?

You may enter the U.S. no sooner than 30 days prior to the start date on your I-20.

How long will my VISA be valid while I am at Mount Ida College?

Your VISA is valid for four years if you are admitted as a full time student and attend classes. If it takes you longer than four years to get your bachelor’s degree, we can extend your VISA.

What if I am a Dream Act OR if I live in the US and do not have a VISA?

We accept all students no matter what their status is.