Additional License for Teacher of Students With Moderate Disabilities, PreK-8
Mount Ida College Continuing Education is pleased to offer Massachusetts licensed teachers the opportunity to earn the Post-Baccalaureate Additional License for Teachers of Students With Moderate Disabilities, Pre K-8.
This five-credit, 170-hour (combination of 20-hour seminar and 150-hour practicum) additional professional license gives you the training needed to work with students with a variety of needs PreK-8 in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Mount Ida College has been granted permission to facilitate this additional license by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE). At the completion of this course, students are responsible for submitting to DESE their course descriptions, grades, and verification that all licensure requirements have been fulfilled.
This DESE-approved program offered by Mount Ida College will prepare you for these required licensure competencies in preparation for the Additional License in Moderate Disabilities Pre K-8:
- Coverage of: Educational terminology for students with mild to moderate disabilities.
- Coverage of: Preparation, implementation, and evaluation of Individualized Education Programs (IEPs).
- Coverage of: Design or modification of curriculum, instructional materials, and general education classroom environments for students with moderate disabilities.
- Coverage of: Ways to prepare and maintain students with disabilities for general education classrooms.
- Coverage of: Knowledge of services provided by other agencies.
- Coverage of: Federal and state laws and regulations pertaining to special education.
- Coverage of: Instruction on the appropriate use of augmentative and alternative communication and other assistive technologies.
For more information
- Questions about the academic program? Contact Dr. Suzanne St. Germain, Professor of Education, (617) 928-4059 or Sstgermain@mountida.edu