» Skip Navigation
Mount Ida in the News, Office of the President

Setti Warren to become a Visiting Fellow at Mount Ida College in January 2018

(Newton, MA) September 7, 2017-President Barry Brown of Mount Ida College announced today that Setti Warren, outgoing Mayor of the City of Newton, will serve as a Visiting Fellow at Mount Ida College beginning in January 2018, following his departure from office. In this role, he will teach in the College’s Political Science and Pre-Law programs, work with students on civic engagement and service learning initiatives, and help advance the College’s community relations and fund-raising activities.

“Those of us at Mount Ida have observed Setti’s dedication and engaged leadership as constituents and neighbors”, said Mount Ida President Barry Brown. “We are honored that he has chosen to become a member of our community following his service to the City. As a lifelong Newton resident, he has dedicated much of his life to serving this community. He will help advance our growing academic programs in Political Science and Pre-Law, as well as our extensive civic engagement programs. He will serve as a strong role model for our students to involve themselves in a life of achievement and service.”

Warren was the Commencement speaker at the College’s 2013 graduation ceremony and received an Honorary Doctor of Social Science degree in recognition of his outstanding career and contributions to the City. “This feels like a home-coming for me,” said Warren. “I attended day camp at Mount Ida when I was a kid and the College has always held a special place in my heart. As Mayor, I have watched the College’s enrollment growth, academic advancement and community relations programs with pride. I am excited to be able to work closely with the great students there, as well as the faculty and staff as I begin my next chapter.”

Warren has served two terms as mayor, beginning in 2010. He previously worked in several White House roles in the Clinton Administration and as a Naval Intelligence Specialist in Iraq. In May of this year, he declared his candidacy for the upcoming Massachusetts gubernatorial election.

President Brown noted, “We are pleased that Mayor Warren will be a part of the Mount Ida College Community as it continues to grow and expand opportunities in higher education”.

You can read recent news coverage about Setti Warren’s fellowship here:
Boston Globe
Newton Tab